This file contains documentation for English Gigaword Fourth Edition, Linguistic
Data Consortium (LDC) catalog number LDC2009T13 and isbn 1-58563-515-4.
English Gigaword, now being released in its fourth edition, is a comprehensive
archive of newswire text data that has been acquired over several years by the
LDC at the University of Pennsylvania. The fourth edition includes all of the
contents in English Gigawaord Third Edition (LDC2007T07)
plus new data covering the 24-month period of January 2007 through December
The six distinct international sources of English newswire included in this
edition are the following:
- Agence France-Presse, English Service (afp_eng)
- Associated Press Worldstream, English Service (apw_eng)
- Central News Agency of Taiwan, English Service (cna_eng)
- Los Angeles Times/Washington Post Newswire Service (ltw_eng)
- New York Times Newswire Service (nyt_eng)
- Xinhua News Agency, English Service (xin_eng)
New in the Fourth Edition
- Articles with significant Spanish language content have now been
identified and documented.
- Markup has been simplified and made consistent throughout the corpus.
- Information structure has been simplified.
- Character entities have been simplified.
For an example of the data in this corpus, please review this sample file.
This work was supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, GALE Program Grant No. HR0011-06-1-0003. The content of this publication does not necessarily reflect the position or the policy of the Government, and no official endorsement should be inferred.
Portions © 1994-2008 Agence France Presse, © 1994-2008 The Associated Press,
© 1997-2008 Central News Agency (Taiwan), © 1994-1998, 2003-2008 Los Angeles
Times-Washington Post News Service, Inc., © 1994-2008 New York Times, © 1995-2008
Xinhua News Agency, © 2009 Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania